Sunday, May 16, 2010

Clichés

We all know 'less is always more' when it comes to style (Same rule does not apply to chocolate cake for example). When you enjoy having new beautiful items in your home, the challenge is maintaining the aesthetic balance and while falling into the clutter trap. Nothing detracts more from a beautiful object or piece of furniture than having too much visual competition around it.

I love to shop, the hunt and gather is enjoyable. I purchase one or two new items for my home each week. Not extravagant items: a pottery bowl, art glass vase or a length of fabric. But if I do see something that catches my eye and it is well priced I will buy it. I don’t want to miss out! Over time you have a large and growing quantity of homewares.

Your tastes will change, your home may even change. Be prepared to box up items you no longer need or love. Donate to charity, have a garage sale or off-load on ebay. For every bag of new shopping acquisitions that enters the house an equivalent one should leave. Harsh I know.

For the rest of your homewares and accessories; get organised and rotate objects and furnishings. I have an old large deep Javanese cupboard I have moved into the back of the storeroom. From here I rotate objects out into the house, have fun experimenting with new groupings and see what works together. Enjoy old objects in a new 'light.' Another old saying is true too - 'a change is as good as a holiday'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails